Steering wheel -> creaking sound

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
duncho

Post by duncho »

Korky:The noise is caused by dry rubber mounting of the front shock absorbers. Ask the dealer to check and lubricate them and noise will be gone for 2-3 weeks. However, the problem appear to be caused by rubber material not being tight enough and the gap squeeze against the metal part.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!

korky

Post by korky »

[quote="duncho"] Korky:The noise is caused by dry rubber mounting of the front shock absorbers. Ask the dealer to check and lubricate them and noise will be gone for 2-3 weeks. However, the problem appear to be caused by rubber material not being tight enough and the gap squeeze against the metal part.A 

[/QUOTE]

Cool thank you :)
duncho

Post by duncho »

UpdateThere are 3 types of steering noise sources being identified:dry rubber cuff at floor where steering column passes the floor (lubricate with Teflon base grease only)noise caused by dry rubber mounting of the front shock absorbers (tighten the screw and lubricate)scratching noise inside the steering wheel - sounds changes on turns, usually not audible near steering end position (coil spring issue, need to be replaced by a dealer)
duncho2015-02-20 16:25:02

Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

I have this noise.

noise caused by dry rubber mounting of the front shock absorbers (tighten the screw and lubricate)

Tighten what screw? Or is it a bolt? And lubricate what and what lubricant?
Grocer Jack

Post by Grocer Jack »

My advice is take it to the dealer to sort out, resolving the issue may be a simple diy task but the cars are under 3 year warrenty and the issue needs raising with dealers/ Nissan as this apears to be a widespread problem
Quashqai 1.6dci Acenta vis tronic pearl black - DOB March 2014 -- Previous Quashqai 1.5dci Acenta (2010)
duncho

Post by duncho »

[quote="Monkeywba"]]I have this noise.noise caused by dry rubber mounting of the front shock absorbers (tighten the screw and lubricate)Tighten what screw? Or is it a bolt? And lubricate what and what lubricant?[/QUOTE]]Monkeywba, better take to a dealer as Grocer Jack said. I lubricated mine but the noise has starting to occur again. They will order and replace them with a new ones I suppose. I will do so, too.PSIf you just want information which part needs lubrication, I marked it down for you

duncho2015-02-21 00:42:35

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Same noise has appeared on mine tonight, when turning the steering and to a lesser extent when going over speed bumps. Only happening intermittently. Going to keep an eye on it over the next week or so as I do very little mileage. If it gets more progressive ill call in at the dealership, if it eases or stays as it is then ill wait until first service is due at the beginning of May and get it looked at then.
It came on suddenly and is quite loud/very noticeable and annoying.
QQ1.6

Post by QQ1.6 »

But it only occurs when the car is cold and when it is cold outside?
QQ1.6

Post by QQ1.6 »

I discovered that the sound is only heard when it is cold outside and before driving (car cold).It is coming from the linkage at the floor. The sound goes away very quick as soon as I start driving. 2 questions: 1. I guess it is harmless if I don't do anything about it?2. Shouldn't there be some cover over/on this linkage, it looks so open?
Grocer Jack

Post by Grocer Jack »

My QQ is now 12 months old 14k on the clock, I only became aware of the noise toward the end of November and it is noticable worse as the temperature drops. I suspect that if nothing is done the issue will disapear through spring and summer and return again next November!
Quashqai 1.6dci Acenta vis tronic pearl black - DOB March 2014 -- Previous Quashqai 1.5dci Acenta (2010)