whooping noise

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
airkool

Post by airkool »

our qashqai 1.5 diesel 60 plate has made like a whopping sound since we got it nearly a year ago, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it start quite then gets louder. It be back to the garage loads of times fed up taking to them as they clueless, they have replaced fuel pump, water pump plus other bits but still makes noise, you can only hear the noise inside the car not when u lift the bonnet, makes no difference if fans or air con on or off, same noise is made while driving and changing gear, one min it start making noise and that can last anywhere from 5-20 mins.. Any idea what could be?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvig1cp312M

duncho

Post by duncho »

I had 1.5 dCi 07 plate and it produced the same noise as yours. Once the engine got warm, the noise was gone.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
airkool

Post by airkool »

ours makes the noise when the engine has been running for some time never when 1st starts up..
begbie1976

Post by begbie1976 »

Hi airkool,

Not sure if you're still on this forum as this is quite an old thread, but hoping that you or someone else can help.

I've recently bought a 10 plate QQ N-tec and had this whooping noise on a few occasions. First time I really heard it was on start-up, in my driveway after about 2 days of owning the car. When I pulled away the car shuddered a bit and I had to feather the clutch to pull away smoothly. It's not been that bad since then but still makes the whooping noise occasionally.

Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem?
airkool

Post by airkool »

no never got it fixed had 100s of pounds worth fitted to it from new fuel pump, fuel fiters, cam belts etc etc same fault so gave up with it
begbie1976

Post by begbie1976 »

airkool wrote:no never got it fixed had 100s of pounds worth fitted to it from new fuel pump, fuel fiters, cam belts etc etc same fault so gave up with it
Thanks airkool. I've not heard the sound again for a week or so now but sounds like it's nothing to worry about.
Jamesdf5

Post by Jamesdf5 »

I have this exact noise on my wifes 11 plate Qashqai. Weirdly it only started after a service. I've had both belts changed but it made no difference. My mechanic thinks it might be the water pump but having read some of the posts on here and the linked youtube video i'm very much doubting the water pump theory. As it started after a service surely the answer has got to be one of the serviceable parts? Fuel filter perhaps? Perhaps a particular brand of fuel filter? Are there different brands available?

Or do we just shrug our shoulders and forget about it?
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

On the J10s that noise was air in the fuel lines, you have to squeeze the little rugby ball shaped thing under the bonnet a few times when you put diesel in. It even says in the manual for diesel models you need to give the thing a few squeezes every time you fill up from empty.

bulb.jpg

Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

This is used to prime the fuel pump from realy empty, as in the car has run out of fuel. I have never needed to pump these things for any other reason.
chrisw99 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 3:47 pm On the J10s that noise was air in the fuel lines, you have to squeeze the little rugby ball shaped thing under the bonnet a few times when you put diesel in. It even says in the manual for diesel models you need to give the thing a few squeezes every time you fill up from empty.

bulb.jpg
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Daewar wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 11:36 am This is used to prime the fuel pump from realy empty, as in the car has run out of fuel. I have never needed to pump these things for any other reason.
chrisw99 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 3:47 pm On the J10s that noise was air in the fuel lines, you have to squeeze the little rugby ball shaped thing under the bonnet a few times when you put diesel in. It even says in the manual for diesel models you need to give the thing a few squeezes every time you fill up from empty.

bulb.jpg
I should have mentioned that I used to get that noise regularly and a few quick pumps of the primer always sorted it, I think it clears any air that gets trapped in the lines, which causes resonance causing the noise.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T