GROUP BUY: QQ J11 (>2014) bonnet/hood strut kit

Buy and Sell your QQ stuff here!
BatterBits

Post by BatterBits »

Yes, that's right, it's all my fault - Seriously, It's the kind of thing I never think about until it's too late. I'm forever dropping stuff in the engine bay, and never seem to learn.Producing the video and the instruction leaflet, were both done quite quickly, in order to get the kits out to people as fast as I could.... so yet another lesson learned!
Regards,

Ian
--
1.5dCi Tekna in Ink blue fitted with Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Ordered mine last Sat/Sun, received it Tuesday morning, fitted it after work that day.
Took me longer to find my spanners and socket set than it did to fit the kit.
My old CDT teacher used to say "measure twice, cut once". Well when it comes to diy I'm the kind of person who 'measures once, then thinks about it, then measures again, then has another think about it, then consults the internet and manuals, then re measures, asks a friend, then thinks better of it until ive slept on the idea for a couple of days before making my mind up if im doing things correctly.......you get the idea.
Not this time though, just got straight into it and job done!
The actual 'job time' is less than 5 minutes.
I am more than happy with the product and the result.
My discerning 14 year old daughter thinks the outcome is 'totally cool'!
I did wonder about the 'left hand/right hand issue' regarding the brackets, but to be honest its not really an issue if you look closely at the photos.
My only words of advice would be to make sure the lower end fixing is screwed fully onto the ram rod...one of mine needed a couple of turns to make secure...and more importantly, DO NOT be heavy handed when tightening the fixings to both the bonnet and the engine bay....the supplied fixings 'feel' as if they are made from an alloy that 'may' be softer than the original bolts. This is not a problem at all, just be careful not to over tighten.
With regards to the existing bonnet stay....it is in fact slightly too long once the new struts are fitted...no need to shorten it though...just bend it appropriately to fit if needed. If this is beyond you, then when you send your car in for a service then leave a 'sticky note' on the edge of your bonnet as a reminder to your technician to be careful raising the bonnet. As others have already posted, the integrity of the new struts is sufficient to hold the bonnet in the upright position even in the event of a failure of one of the two struts. I did have my doubts, but this was unfounded.
Overall, money well spent.
If you are reading this and thinking about ordering, then stop dithering and get it ordered! You wil not be disappointed.
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

[quote="BatterBits"]Producing the video and the instruction leaflet, were both done quite quickly, in order to get the kits out to people as fast as I could.... so yet another lesson learned![/QUOTE]Don't beat yourself up about the instructions.I thought the video and instruction leaflet were about right.There are good pictures of the brackets in position.The video was a really good touch.The leaflet was much better than a lot of commercially produced instructions.I am a bit OCD about checking positions and measurements before and after starting a job , probably instilled by my dad who was a cabinet maker.
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
Jhare

Post by Jhare »

My wife, who as stated previously fitted the struts whilst I was out walking the dogs, has pointed out that it is obvious that the brackets would give the wrong angle to lift the bonnet when fitted incorrectly. My fault for marrying an engineer I suppose. I can reach higher shelves than her though!!Jhare2015-06-07 20:49:15
2014 Tekna 1.2 DIG-T in Magnetic Red
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

...well it wasn't obvious to an non-engineer! Colour me impressed. I'm still amazed that such a little difference (in my view) gives such a large difference in effect. Does she understand the offside rule as well? edit: Car booked into to dealership tomorrow to search for hidden socket set pieces.
Beardyman2015-06-07 21:25:46
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
Jhare

Post by Jhare »

Higher shelves and the offside rule. I'm beginning to feel quite smug now.

Hope the sockets either turn up or have gone without causing any damage Beardyman.
2014 Tekna 1.2 DIG-T in Magnetic Red
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

[quote="Jhare"]Higher shelves and the offside rule. I'm beginning to feel quite smug now.[/QUOTE]
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

Took mine into the dealers today to see if they could use their superior tools/knowledge to try and find my missing sockets (see above conversation). They took off a couple of covers etc and found one, couldn't find the other (so lets assume it bounced out on the way over eh?).Anyway, the mechanic I was dealing with was very impressed with the the struts. As am I - now officially ticked off as a job well done. Thanks to all for help and to BatterBits for getting this all together.
QDay 28.11.2014
BatterBits

Post by BatterBits »

Well here we are.I believe everyone who has requested one, is now in possession of their kit - with the exception of PeterL - yours is on its way - apologies once again for an administrative cock-up.It's been interesting, insofar as the number of people who wanted one is far greater than the numbers of people who ended up actually having one. And it's been fun - pulling my long suffering wife's leg that I am now an international businessman and importer!If anyone else does want a kit - I have just one left - if it has to go on ebay - the price will be going up!. Doesn't look like I will be placing another order after all - at least not in the short term - as new members arrive on the board, perhaps there will be some further interest in the future. I have tried four times on the "other" board, to attract the attention of the Admin - but for some reason, he has decided he doesn't want to talk to me - I have no idea what I might have done to upset him.Finally, thanks to everyone who has bought a kit - I hope that you are all as delighted as I am with it - I know some of you have already expressed your delight and gratitude - I'm not looking for more compliments, honestly!
BatterBits2015-06-11 23:16:19
Regards,

Ian
--
1.5dCi Tekna in Ink blue fitted with Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

Thanks Ian. You could have easily given up on this in the early stages. Very happy with my kit. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Beardy man
QDay 28.11.2014